Message from the Chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Dear friends, alumni and prospective students:
Welcome to the Department of Biomedical Engineering (BE) at The Catholic University of America. Biomedical Engineering is an exciting field that bridges the gap between technology and medicine in order to benefit society. In fact, graduates of our program contribute to society every day by designing advanced prosthetics for the disabled, developing the next generation of artificial hearts and solving the puzzle of the human genome, just to name a few.
As one of the first dozen accredited BE programs in the U.S., our Biomedical Engineering department has many unique features that attract excellent students from all over the world such as:
- An innovative curriculum that integrates theory and hands-on design experience
- An outstanding faculty of dedicated teachers and internationally recognized biomedical researchers
- Small class sizes that permit close personal interaction with the faculty
- Great internships at nearby Washington D.C. laboratories such as the Food & Drug Administration, National Institutes of Health, NASA and the National Rehabilitation Hospital.
- A pre-medicine track that enables students to complete all of their medical school entrance requirements while obtaining a degree in biomedical engineering in just four years.
- A 5-year bachelors/masters program in biomedical engineering.
- Study abroad opportunities in Asia.
A key strength of our program is the research active faculty. In addition to bringing contemporary challenges into the classroom, this presents opportunities for our students to engage in research endeavors that complement their classroom experience.
Additionally, Washington D.C. is an exciting city in which to live and study, one that is a truly international city. Home to professional sports teams in football, basketball, hockey, and baseball, there are plenty of opportunities for students to interact and engage with the wider community.
While the above facets may be compelling from an academic and social standpoint, a key differentiator of our program from others is the foundational approach of educating the whole engineer... firmly rooted in our presence at The Catholic University of America, the only pontifical university in the United States. Here, our students are educated not only in the technical language of engineering, but also how to apply that knowledge in the context of a global society. As they mature as young men and women during these formative years, they can fully appreciate the impact of biomedical engineering on addressing the current and future needs of the region, the country, and the world.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have or if you wish to visit the department. I can be reached at email@example.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Peter S. Lum, Ph.D.
Chairman, Biomedical Engineering